It is a great data encryption feature present in Window Vista and later Window versions. It was designed to provide protection for important computer data files. So another person can’t see important data files. It prevents data lose to any unauthorized person. Even in case if the personal computer or hard-drive got theft. BitLocker is also considered by pro-person. Note: Most of the computer we buy does not support BitLocker feature. BitLocker requires Enterprise and Professional edition of window 10 and window 8, and ultimate version of window 7. Window 8.1 also supports BitLocker in Home and Professional edition.
As already mentioned above. It saves computer data accessible by the unauthorized person. Window Vista Window 7, Window 8, Window 8.1 and window 10 supports BitLocker encryptions. It is also available for server 2008 and server 2008 R2. Window 7 provides great ability to encrypt external removable devices function known as BitLocker to GO. It gives great ability to encrypt external drives like USB flash drive and USB hard disk.
How to set up BitLocker in all operating system:
While the window is running BitLocker cannot protect computer contents. It is designed to protect offline attacks. Unauthorized access comes in form. Malicious user tries to connect via network if he gets access to your physical network. Then he can access data from the computer.
To prevent this, the user should apply strict permission to local network and computer. So the computer will be more secure from a malicious user who tries to access the computer via a network.
How to apply BitLocker encryption?
- 1) We should press the right mouse button and select option name “turn on BitLocker” on the drive to which we are going to apply a password.
- 2) The screen will pop up with “BitLocker Drive Encryption” with several different ways of unlocking techniques for a drive. If computer drives which we are encrypting do not have TPM, then we can unlock the device with password and flash drive used as a password key.
- If the computer does not have TPM, then we will have a choice to unlock drive at startup automatically. Other options will also be available such as unlock with a smart card or with a password.
- 3) We can also back up password key. If we lose the main key, backup is helpful. We can unlock computer with recovery key. Microsoft account, flash drive, a text file can store the backup key. We can also print key on paper.
- 4) There are two options in BitLocker. Selecting the first option will encrypt data automatically, which we insert into drive and other second option. We will encrypt entire drive data and also free space will be encrypted. The first option is better and faster for new personal computers that will not encrypt free space. But data will be automatically encrypted as we insert in the drive.
- 5)The last step is Finishing up. It can take time from seconds to minutes or may take longer time. Depending on the size of encrypting drive data. If we want to encrypt computer system drive. For that, checkmark the option mentioned as “Run BitLocker system check” and click continues. After completion restarts the computer.